Thursday, June 9, 2011

T h r e e d a y w e e k e n d

Unfortunately, these words have had little to do with my vocabulary recently, save the amazing vacations that I've been grateful to take with Boyfriend.  Thankfully, when talking boss lady out of giving me a ridiculous schedule this week, I ended up with a 3-day weekend by default, which I will gladly accept!  The oddest part: it's Thursday night and although the day has been good, not nearly the typical "I'm off from work so I must rush my life" reaction that I have been used to.

I was able to enjoy a relaxed dinner with a great friend and spend some time to myself.  (I pretend as if this is something that is much-deserved, rather than the default for living so far from Boyfriend and having busy friends.)  The Counter was the new dish of the evening with Mary at Reston Town Center, where we were able to construct our own burgers in a 5 step process!  Although my food of choice could have looked significantly more appetizing, it was absolutely delicious and complimented their shoe-string fries nicely!  The company, of course, was the part I enjoyed the most.  Although Mary and I live only minutes apart, our busy schedules seem to complicate our ability to make plans.  We make the most of what we can and have learned how to catch up in a very well-organized manner so that we can move on and enjoy the dates we are able to schedule.

Tomorrow, after errands, packing, and waiting for Boyfriend to make the 3-hour drive north to pick up Sampson and I, we will be on our way to PA to celebrate Mr. Smyth's retirement from the State Department. We are so fortunate to  be able to enjoy these times with the Smyths and be included in such momentous occasions of their lives.  The "party" is scheduled for Sunday, but Friday evening and Saturday will also be enjoyed quite thoroughly: gardening, swimming, playing with dogs, quilting, discussing worldly matters and ensuring that the State Liquor Board of PA will not go without jobs any time soon.  Family and friends are expected in town, and if it's anything like the Celebration we had last year, it is going to be a weekend to remember.

I can't wait to spend the extra time with Boyfriend over the weekend, especially with such great friends and family.  A large portion of our relationship has happened in the car, together or apart, and we will definitely continue our tradition this weekend as we make a quick stop on our way to the Smyth's.  We can catch up on the happenings of this week, which always seems much better in person than on the phone and really get the chance to make each other laugh with our silliness.  Now all we need is a great road trip game!

No comments:

Post a Comment